Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

22 August 1862: Friday

Union - Government
President Lincoln replies to Horace Greeley's "The Prayer of Twenty Millions by writing to the New York editor: "...I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored ; the nearer the Union will be 'the Union as it was.' If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would do that."

Military - Union
Virginia

McClellan's vast army continues to march into Aquia Creek and Alexandria.

Skirmishes take place between the armies of Lee and Pope, along the Rapahannock.

There is a raid on Catlett's Station. Jeb Stuart captures General Pope's baggage train, papers and all.

Alabama
There is a skirmish at Trinity.

Minnesota
There is more fighting at Fort Ridgely between the Sioux and Federal troops.

Louisiana
General Butler in New Orleans authorizes enlisting free Negroes as Federal soldiers.

Confederate - military
Western Virginia and Ohio

Confederate troops make a lengthy expedition - it lasts until September 19.

__________________
Bibliography
The Civil War Day By Day: An Almanac 1861-1865. E.B. Long with Barbara Long, De Capo, 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment